Disabled Parking Placard

Effective November 1, 2001

A Disabled Parking Placard Permit is given to those who are eligible to use specially designated parking spots due to a disability or handicap.

  • Individuals applying for this placard must prove they are eligible for the Handicapped Parking Permit, by having an application form completed by their physician or physical therapist, which they then submit to Registry On Wye This form will indicate if you are to receive a temporary or permanent placard. To qualify, an individual must be unable to walk more than 50 meters. There are three types of placards:
    • Disabled (Blue Placards): issued to those with long-term disabilities (valid for five years)
    • Permanent Disabled (Blue placards): issued to those with Permanent disabilities (can be self-declared every five years without the medical personnel signature)
    • Temporary Disabled (Red placards): issued to those with disabilities that are temporary but will affect them for a period of three to twelve months. Also issued to visitors to Alberta who are in need. (Note: An out-of-province visitor may also use their valid parking placard from their home jurisdiction during their stay in Alberta.)

If parking privileges are abused, your parking placard may be canceled and your parking privileges revoked. Do not allow anyone else to use your parking placard and do not park in marked stalls unless you are exiting the vehicle.

How Do You Get a Disabled Parking Placard?

To apply for a placard, an Application Form (pdf): must be completed by your physician, physiotherapist or occupational therapist and submitted to a registry agent office.

When someone is applying on behalf of a person with a disability for a first application, that individual must show acceptable identification for themselves and for the person with the disability.

Please bring in the following into Registry On Wye:

  • The form completed by your physician, physiotherapist or occupational therapist
  • Government-issued Photo ID that contains your legal name and date of birth
  • If you are requesting a placard on behalf of a disabled person for the first time or renewing, you must bring an Authorization for Vehicle Services with you.
  • For the above Service, additional documentation may be required.

A visitor in need, without an existing placard, may apply for a temporary red placard for the duration of their visit. Visitors will be considered for a parking placard and should contact a registry agent for more information.

Additional information and program highlights are available on the Alberta Transportation website.