Out of Province and Country Vehicle

Since January 1, 1997 all vehicles that were last registered outside of Alberta must be inspected by an authorized mechanic before being registered within our province.

First bring us your Bill of Sale. We’ll do a search on the vehicle to find out its previous status. Depending on that status you will be required to either have a Safety Inspection or a Written-Off Vehicle Inspection done. We can provide you with a Request for Inspection form. After the inspection is completed you must return the form to us within 14 days. Then the vehicle can be registered and if applicable the record from the previous province will be closed out.

To register you must bring:

  • Proof of ownership document, such as a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.
  • Proof of valid insurance for the vehicle that includes the name(s) of the person(s) requesting the registration.
  • Acceptable identification.
  • An out-of-province, salvage or commercial inspection (if applicable)

If you are registering a used vehicle in Alberta for the first time, you may require an inspection. Bring in these additional documents if it is:

  • OUT-OF-PROVINCE: current out-of-province registration showing proof of ownership
  • A BRAND NEW VEHICLE: original NVIS (New Vehicle Information Statement).
  • WRITTEN-OFF, SALVAGED or OUT-OF-PROVINCE: a Salvage or Out-of-Province Inspection is required.

PLEASE NOTE: The name(s) on all the required paperwork must match those of the persons coming in to Registry On Wye. If you cannot physically come in to the registry office, an Authorization for Vehicle Services must be signed by the owner stating that they have requested that someone else register the vehicle for them. In Alberta, it is stated by law that the registered vehicle owner MUST be listed on the Alberta insurance pink slip.

Any person under the age of 18 will require parental consent to register a vehicle in their name for the first time. The parent will have to be in the office at the time of registering.

Special Rules for vehicles owned by Clients Registering from British Columbia (BC) and Saskatchen (SK), Contact us for more information at info@registryonwye.com or 780.417.7300.

This service cannot be purchased online.

Out of Country?
New Resident

You must register your vehicle and obtain an Alberta Driver’s licence within 90 days of moving to Alberta. If your vehicle comes from out of the province, it must also pass an Out of Province Vehicle Inspection before it can be registered.

Temporary Worker:

If you are working temporarily in Alberta but are a legal resident of another province/country, you are allowed to continue to use your vehicle registration and licence plates for a maximum of 183 days/6 months, as long as it is legally registered in your jurisdiction of residence.

Full Time Student:

If you are in Alberta as a full-time student or working as part of a co-op program, you may continue to use your vehicle registration and licence plates from your home jurisdiction, as long as they are valid and you are attending an accredited institution.