Out of Province / Out of Country Reclass

Exchanging a Non-Alberta Operator Licence

A valid licence from another Canadian jurisdiction can be exchanged for an equivalent class (Classes 1 through 7). Testing is not normally required, but a vision test and a medical are necessary when exchanging for a Class 1, 2 or 4 licence.

A valid licence from an American jurisdiction can be exchanged for a Class 5, 6, or 7 licence only. Residency requirements must be met before an Alberta licence will be issued.

Anyone coming from outside Canada and the United States is required to meet residency requirements and to undergo complete testing. Applicants exchanging a licence from Austria, Belgium, France Germany, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Netherlands or United Kingdom will not be required to undergo testing because of our reciprocal licensing agreements with these countries.