Knowledge Test

Before you write your knowledge test you must provide satisfactory identification. If you are writing for the first time and are under 18, a parent or guardian must accompany you to the office to provide consent to write the test. Identification will also be required in the form of a Birth Certificate or Passport.

Persons over 18 wishing to write, must provide Identification and proof of Alberta Residency.

For people not born in Canada, you will need to provide Identification, proof of Legal Presence in Canada as well as proof of Alberta Residency.

Acceptable IDs include:

Birth Certificate, Passport, Permanent Resident Card, Out of Province or Out of Country Drivers licence, or Identification Card.

Acceptable Proof Of Residency:

Current Utility Bills (i.e. Home Phone Bill, Power Bill, Gas Bill, Water Bill, Cell Phone Bills, Credit Card Bills etc.); Rental Agreement with third party management; Mortgage or Land Title / Property Assessment documents; Letter from an employer, signed and dated, on company letterhead. This must be from an Alberta-based company, and must state that the client is physically working in Alberta; Proof of filing taxes in Alberta or a current T4 slip; Statement of Social Assistance or Employment Insurance benefits.

Legal Presence Documents:

Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Passport, Work Permit, Study Permit, Visitor Record or Permanent Residence Card.

If you happen to fail the test you may take it again the next day; After you pass your knowledge test you will be given a vision test which you must also pass.